Poul Henningsen (1894-1967)
Education: Architecture at Copenhagen Technical University (1911-1914) followed by technological college (1914-1917).
PH constructed a few detached houses, apartment houses and industrial buildings; however, he is best known for his industrial design and more specifically, his lamp designs.
In 1920-1924 Poul Henningsen shared a drawing office with Kay Fisker.
Light experiments in co-operation with Louis Poulsen & Co resulted in production of a complete lighting program that included the anti-dazzle PH-lamps that won him a gold medal at the world exhibition in 1925.
The principle of the original PH-lamp was later modified, resulting in the PH-5 lamp (1956) and the cone (1957).
Inspired by the Bauhaus school´s use of steel in furniture design, The PH Grand Piano (1931) was designed in steel, glass and leather.
PH worked for Tivoli during World War 2 where the blackout lamps were developed. Light that couldn´t be seen from above. The lights remain a distinctive feature even today in Tivoli Gardens.